Would you be surprised to know that the men’s shaving business is worth about $2.4 billion? Probably not. Shaving is a daily ritual for most men, and even those with facial hair may trim up from time to time. Another piece of information that may seem obvious is that Gillette and Schick control 85% of the market. But, within the last year, there have been a number of start-ups who are trying to tap into the shaving market.
Dollar Shave Up made headlines for its original and offbeat video. But, for men looking for decent razors, blades and shaving cream at an affordable price, Harry’s is perhaps the best option – for value, quality and convenience.
There has been a lot of buzz and news from surrounding Harry’s as of late, since they recently made a little acquisition. And, if you shop at J. Crew or plan on staying at a Standard line boutique hotel, you may have begun to notice Harry’s. Even if you’re already a customer of the e-commerce site, you should get to know everything you can about Harry’s. Why? Because we have a feeling that Harry’s is going to become a major player in the men’s shaving market.
10. Harry’s was co-founded by Jeff Raider, co-founder of popular eyewear brand Warby Parker, and his friend Andy Katz-Mayfield, after they couldn’t find a “manufacturer whose blades we’d be proud to sell.”
9. The company dedicated over a year crafting their first Harry’s line. Harry’s blades are made by German engineers with decades of experience honing high-grade steel.
8. Harry’s owns a German factory. The company purchased the 93-year-old Feintechnik factory outside Nuremberg for $122.5 million.
7. Harry’s German team has been grinding high-grade steel into some of the world’s sharpest blades since 1920. A 16-pack of these blades coast $25.
6. The company donates 1% of their sales and volunteer 1% of their time to organizations – which would be 25 hours per employee. Currently, Harry’s is working with City Year, an education focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people from across the United State.
5. Harry’s shaving cream was developed by the same chemists who make creams for high-end brands, Mark & Jeff. The New York duo created a blend of natural ingredients that will provide comfort during the shave & soothes the skin after your shave.
4. What’s in their shaving cream? Harry’s cools your skin with licorice, milk thistle, and cucumber, protects it with Vitamins E & B5. Marula and coconut oils are used to moisturize your face Also, there are no parabens or sulfates in their cream, and it’s both gluten-free and vegan.
3. Harry’s currently offers two handles: The Winston and The Truman. Both were designed so it was an extension of your hand. Both handles feature rounded ends so that the it can easily roll in the palm. The core of the handles distributes weight evenly and the slight bend allows for an optimal cutting angle. The Winston handle can also be engraved.
2. In its first nine months of business, Harry’s sold “well over” 100,000 shaving kits, which include a razor, shaving cream and set of blades.
1. Harry’s began selling their kits in March 2013. The brand also recently opened-up a neighborhood barbershop at 64 MacDougal St., New York. The SoHo shop features two-chairs and provides haircuts and shaves and, sells the company’s products.
Have you used Harry’s products before? Were you satisfied with the price and quality?
Latest posts by Albert Costill (see all)
- Video: QC // WC Presents – The Leather Bomber - October 24, 2014
- Cheer On Your Favorite Team With World Cup Swimwear from Hentsch Man - June 17, 2014
- The 10 Most Stylish Soccer Players - June 12, 2014